Super Wedgie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Wedgie

With all the talk in another thread here on hydroracer.net about wedgies (https://hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15286) I wanted to make sure everyone is familiar with George Luce's DMR Super Wedgie.

From Lock Haven, PA 2007:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 03-01-2009, 04:59 AM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery!
    Nic Thompson

www.tbrboats.com

Comment

Originally posted by nicf14 View Post
      Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery!
      Yes it is.....
      These are from the Beiswenger project in Fishers Landing. I believe there is a 3rd. boat as well.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DO***E%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDo***ent> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDo***ent> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>
      Last edited by aojesus; 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM.

sigpic
      SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

That boat is a work of art!
        Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

I don't think Luce's boat resembles the Beiswenger boat that much in person. They are completely different from midships to the stern and the purportions are different from the bow to mid.

Anyone have pictures of the earlier boats other than Krier (I am familiar with them). The Krier boats look more like a box with a point on one end compared to both of these.
          Last edited by sam; 03-01-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Whether he is building motors or boats there is no denying the fact that George Luce puts together top quality stuff and is a great guy.
            The Matt Arlt boat, if I remember correctly, resembled the Beiswenger, Luce and Krier boats. I used to have a picture of one but I can't find it.

sigpic
            SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Comment

Russ is right in that the Arltralite runabouts are similar to the Beisweger runabouts because I believe Matt told me once that he consulted the Beiswingers on their design. But with any Arltralite panel boat, Matt always put his own aspects into the boat to make it unique and he always designed the boat so that it would preform the best that he thought it possibly could. But most boat builders are like that, just with different opinions.
              Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

from surf boards with motors to these things its a dam shame what happened to runabouts since they took the measurements away

Comment

Originally posted by stu_racing View Post
                  Russ is right in that the Arltralite runabouts are similar to the Beisweger runabouts because I believe Matt told me once that he consulted the Beiswingers on their design. But with any Arltralite panel boat, Matt always put his own aspects into the boat to make it unique and he always designed the boat so that it would preform the best that he thought it possibly could. But most boat builders are like that, just with different opinions.
                  how did Matt get those carbon panels to curve on the runabout????
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

What you need to do is pop the pieces about 8-12 hours after you lay them up. You have themcurve naturally after popping them. This is called the green state. During this time the composite curves slightly until it fully cures. It take approximately 3 days for the material to fully cure.
                    I popped the center decks for Geoff's new boat today and have them curving right now. I don't plan on attaching them until the end of this week. Also, using different materials allows for more curvature, such as using fiberglass in certain spots or thinner coring.
                    What I did for my center section was that I made a mold out of melonine (sp?) for about $50. It acts like a temporary mold for little money.
                    Also, I would like to remind the public that Beret Henderson's molds are for sale. This means the CSH Arltralite molds are for sale, the 1.5L/2.5L, and the 5L molds are for sale.
                    Spencer Utman #16CE

Comment

The same basic Idea

Here is a picture of my Gpa in 1959 Racing his Ashburn Runabout. You can see the similar lines as todays boats. These design ideas have been around for along time! Guys put their own touch on them to make them their own. I have many more pictures of my family and others racing these same boats from the middle 50's through the late 60's. The DeSilva's I believe became more popular as the 60's moved on. These Ashburns were very fast I am told.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You guys' idea of "same" isn't the same as my idea of "same" ... I see big differences in these boats

Comment

Similar, but....

Almost the same? I guarantee you these two boats perform differently.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

I am sure you are right about the preformance differences. I was just saying the deck lines are similar to some of todays boats.

Comment

&quot;wedgie&quot;

When discussing the "WEDGIE", remember to honor the memory of Bud Pinto, who along with Bob Minton developed the concept in Casey Minton's JSR. Casey set the world on fire with that boat, winning the nationals, national high points and setting world records. Many have since copied the design.
                              Last edited by PopPop; 03-02-2009, 07:27 AM.
                              !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Working...
                              X