BREAKING NEWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAKING NEWS

Just heard that two (2) more boat racing series have left APBA; U S Formula One Powerboat Series and SPORT Series. That makes 3 boat racing series that have left APBA in the last 3 years.

What's going on at APBA?

Think of it this way, for the most part the “APBA” is nothing more than a points tabulation and insurance broker. People who are not familiar with the organization might have the idea that it’s a huge corporation etc. which it’s not. There is no marketing staff or promotions department. The APBA HQ is not located in a plush Manhattan high rise with a luxury office suite or grand entrance.

Now that we know it’s not an elaborate NYC 5th Ave. operation it’s my opinion that as the years have gone by and the sport has changed many series have decided to simply go it alone and basically run their own series the way they see fit using their own internal expertise in the field of marketing etc.

As we all know staging an event is no small task but it’s also not rocket science which I think is the reason some series have chosen to go out on their own. Hard work yes but there are a lot of pretty smart folks involved with the many different categories and series who simply feel they can provide the expertise that’s needed to stage and event without the assistance of a national HQ. They are capable of purchasing their own insurance and securing their own sponsorship's so there is really no need for a middle man which in many cases helps cut cost drastically.

Times have changed and the needs of each individual series have changed so onward and upward best of luck to all in the coming season.

Last edited by HRTV; 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

• Matt Dagostino
      Matt Dagostino commented
      Editing a comment
      Dan.........you should run for office. Well said...........

Well said HRTV.

Comment

what happened to the Crown Partners? I thought that was the premier marketing for the APBA?
      just wondering
      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by thetrailergod View Post
        what happened to the Crown Partners? I thought that was the premier marketing for the APBA?
        just wondering
        APBA BOD terminated the contract

Comment

Originally posted by thetrailergod View Post
          just wondering
          Crown partners were only contracted to revamp the APBA website and bring our database up to date, among other things It was only a 3 year project and we terminated it at about year 2. Since this contract has been terminated we have also lost our last two APBA executive directors for various reasons, Ryan Berlin moved but will still be the editor of propeller for the next few months until a new director can be hired. Which they have been doing interviews for that position for the last few weeks.
          Last edited by Racerkyle20; 02-04-2016, 06:38 PM.
          Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

The more things change the more they stay the same!

I was very active in boat racing in the 80's and early 90's, returning around 2010 when my oldest daughter (and now two daughters) started in Junior Stock Racing. During this time I lost count of the how many time various Offshore groups left APBA to form their own organizations. Same with Tunnel Boat (OPC) groups..... and some inboard classes and groups...... this is nothing new. In fact it's not unique just to boat racing.

Since the mid 90's I have made my living in motorsports, mostly auto racing. I have seen this same thing happen over and over in auto racing, motorcycle racing, and just about everything else that's raced. APBA is a sanctioning body. It's purpose is to provide a National structure for boat racing that includes common classes, rules, and insurance. Like the Sport Car of America (SCCA), APBA has to divide its limited resources and time to balance the needs of a wide variety of categories and classes of competition, all with their own unique faces and needs. The vast majority of these classes and the member drivers are amateurs. This means that often the actions of others have a consequence on the whole organization. This includes increased safety demands on race events, drivers and equipment. Even when it seems some of the rules seem ridiculous.... we are being judged as a group, not individuals.

My point ....... Sometimes it is better for a race series or club to be independent. It gives them an opportunity to custom design the type of organization they want to be, make their own rules, create their own class(s), and administer their own events. This does not mean that APBA failed them. It also does not mean that APBA needs to be overhauled or tossed to the curb. It simply means that APBA cannot be everything for everyone. Nor is NASCAR, as there are several other independent Stock Car sanctioning organizations. Or SCCA, with other sports car organizations, or sprint cars, or motorcycles, or drag racing......... I could go on. It has been like this for as long as people have been racing.

I hear and read the same comments regarding membership. Like APBA is the reason that fewer people are racing boats. Really....... Take a good look around. Just like in boat racing I can show you scores of small town auto racing tracks of all kinds that are now history. This deceasing participation trend is true also for fraternal, civic, business and religious organizations to name just a few. Maybe the answer to why we have fewer racers (of all kinds) is a question that requires a look into our social structure and society. Are we really going to blame it on APBA for increasing member dues a few dollars or requiring racers to show their affiliation by putting an APBA logo on a race boat competing in an APBA sanctioned event. I think we're being a bit dramatic to toss all the blame all on the shoulders of the APBA. And by the way......What do you think would happen if you went thru tech without a NASCAR logo on your car, in the exact position required by NASCAR. I'll tell you ..... you would be told to put it on or go home.... and probably get fined to boot!

So what is my suggestion ..... What I suggest is if you feel that APBA is not for you ....... don't write the check for membership. But if you do decide to write that check, stop complaining and start working to make APBA better.

Comment

Well said....thank you!!
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Scott - As for rolling through tech without the NASCAR Sprint cup logo on the bottom of both A-pillars......they will simply put it on for you, smile and say "have it right next week".

Comment

But it WILL be on the car before you go on the track!

Comment

BREAKING NEWS
                    I concur with HRTV & Scott Dewar’s posts. However, their posts trigger more questions for me as I’m sure they will for you also.
                    What is the viability of APBA going forward?
                    1) As other associations/series leave APBA to go on their own; won’t this cause APBA’S costs to sky rocket per capita; for example, increasing overhead and insurance costs thus higher entry fees to drivers compounding the problem?
                    2) Informed sources tell me that there are several lawsuits pending against APBA
                    A) Does APBA have insurance to cover these should they go against APBA?
                    B) Attorney’s Fees; These can be very substantial thus eating into ABPA’s cash reserves….Can APBA survive this cash outflow?

Comment

BREAKING NEWS
                      I concur with HRTV & Scott Dewar’s posts. However, their posts trigger more questions for me as I’m sure they will for you also.

What is the viability of APBA going forward?
                      1) As other associations/series leave APBA to go on their own; won’t this cause APBA’S costs to sky rocket per capita; for example, increasing overhead and insurance costs thus higher entry fees to drivers compounding the problem?

2) Informed sources tell me that there are several lawsuits pending against APBA
                      A) Does APBA have insurance to cover these should they go against APBA?
                      B) Attorney’s Fees; These can be very substantial thus eating into ABPA’s cash reserves….Can APBA survive this cash outflow?

Comment

• HRTV
                        HRTV commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This was a tough one, I have no idea if this is one of the pending cases. But yes I agree your thoughts do have merit. Only time will tell I guess.

Girl who died in Thunder on the Narrows crash is identified by family - ABC2News.com http://bit.ly/1PuEvib
                    Working...
                    X