Marathon at Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon at Nationals

Talked with several runabout drivers really interested in running a marathon after finals. Let try to get an actual headcount everyone please! It's only a month away!
    Wendy McCourtie Smith

I'm in... 18P
    Future J dad!

Comment

I'd show up for that......for sure. I'm sure that are at least a half dozen other C drivers as well that would be game.

Comment

Marathon at Nat's.

Aw shucks honey, you know I wouldn't miss it! With a nice sharp 'righty' in the back stretch, just for fun. KampKurz

Comment

i'm in

Comment

All sounds good. Keep the entries coming!
            Wendy McCourtie Smith

Comment

Im in... 3-J
              Dylan Runne

Comment

Wendy, I'm not sure if your taking the lead on trying to get this on the schedule or not but what are your thoughts as to the reality of it happening. I was sort of under the impression that there just wasn't going to be enough time in the day to have a marathon. Beyond that there's limited pit parking which might be a problem for guys that might come just for this portion of the event. Let us know if the powers to be are seriously considering a marathon.......thanks.

Sam
                87m

Comment

Grass Lake Marathon

I am almost certain that Kurt Kovtun (C828M) will be coming with me, if a marathon can happen. Possibly Jim Powell as well. I will be putting some pressure on at our T.O.M.O.R.C. meeting Monday. People are interested!
                  KampKurz

Comment

But

I guess my question regarding this idea is why would you want to run your marathon equipment at this race when the marathon nationals are one week after the SO nationals? There also is the Trenton,Mi. marathon the weekend prior to the SO nationals. If we do have a blowout at the SO nationals and we go into Saturday for the finals are you talking about running a marathon late Saturday? If I were a scorer at the SO nationals I think I would have to say enough is enough. Or are we talking a just for fun race with no scoring and just entry fees to cover insurence? If they do decide to do it (which I do not it will) we would more than likely let Adam race the marathon in "A" class.
                    Tom L.

Comment

Grass Lake Marathon

Originally posted by wsmith0607 View Post
                      Talked with several runabout drivers really interested in running a marathon after finals. Let try to get an actual headcount everyone please! It's only a month away!
                      At our clubs,(tomorc) meeting last night I spoke about the possibility of a marathon at Grass Lake, there was much interest. A few folks thought it might be a great way to get a little boat time in before Top'O.
                      3M, 79M for the B class, 85M for C, 114 for 25, (tentative, but with much interest), and others said they would get the word out to members not in attendance.
                      C'mon y'all, give some consideration to this event, get the word out to non-HR.net users and ask them to chime in. KampKurz
                      Last edited by kampkurz; 06-30-2009, 04:47 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Grass Lake Nationals - Marathon race

All,

A little background first. Wendy Smith was kind enough to help us out in establishing a couple of threads to determine what kind of interest there would be in having a "special event" at this years Grass Lake Nationals. Whether a 1 class gut-buster type race, hydro/runabout tag-team or a tradiational marathon was our question.

As many of you know Grass Lake traditionally has a 20 min. timed marathon w/ lemans start at our regular Sept. race. The village really likes the marathon and we wanted to have one this year as well. However, due to the fact that the Trenton is 1 week before and Top'O 1 week after, our intial feedback was not very good.

Since then, we've had some feedback from both the Northern MI crew, MHRA marathoners and a few East coasters that has made us decide to put on a 1 day Marathon points race.

Our intentions are to be done early enough on Saturday with the closed course Nationals that the Marathon would be a great show for the spectators/sponsors. Of course we all know we have no control over the weather and if we get behind don't want anyone who traveled for the Marathon to be "left out". Therefore, here's the details as we sit right now:

1) We will run a marathon points race. Preferrably on Sat., however the race committee reserves the rights to run on Sunday if time becomes a factor. We will run it on Sunday if necessary.
                        2) Course will be the typical Grass Lake "L" Marathon course (possibly a bit longer).
                        3) It will be a timed marathon. Time of marathon to be determined, based on entries, schedule and other factors. Expect at least 1/2 hour.
                        4) Entry fees will be minimal ($10-20 range).
                        5) Winners of the classes with more than 5 or more starters will receive a Bulova watch.
                        6) Registration will be Sat. morning.

The APBA sanction will have to be ammended for this event. Please pass the word and encourage participation since are putting it on. Thanks.

Mark
                        Last edited by hydroracer25; 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM. Reason: added point 6

Comment

Fantastic!

Thanks to MHRA/Grass Lake race committee for reviewing the wants of this added race and making it possible. It's nice that the marathons still have a home for their rich history as part of this great sport. Now lets step up to the plate marathoners and make it a great showing for the spectators and sponsors.
                          Tom L.

Comment

Grass lake marathon!

I am stoked. I will continue to promote amongst to Northern Michigan crew.
                            C57M KampKurz

Comment

mhra has made this my baby.so with that,soon will have details on the marathon.IT IS ON........

Comment

Working...
                              X