Rescue Board Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescue Board Idea

I'm wondering if for a small club that does not have a Bona-Fide rescue boat,
    if this idea would work.

We all know that pulling an injured wet driver out of the water over the side of a kicker boat is a bad idea.

What if you built a floating "rescue board" kind of like a floating back board.
    A board that could be slid under an injured driver in the water, then, had enough floatation to allow a small boat to tow it back to the beach, then the EMT's could lift the board right out of the water, like a back board.

Maybe it could be adapted from something like a Paddle Board?

Do ya'll think that could work?

Great idea I think. In movies they shows jetski ocean rescue doing something similar on a small board. Could be made slightly larger like a dingy with no transom so even if knocked out it could carry someone to shore relatively quickly and safely. Maybe something that a regular floating back board couold be latched to with a couple quick snap buckles similar to a car seat belt.

Originally posted by mdaspit View Post
    I'm wondering if for a small club that does not have a Bona-Fide rescue boat,
    if this idea would work.

We all know that pulling an injured wet driver out of the water over the side of a kicker boat is a bad idea.

What if you built a floating "rescue board" kind of like a floating back board.
    A board that could be slid under an injured driver in the water, then, had enough floatation to allow a small boat to tow it back to the beach, then the EMT's could lift the board right out of the water, like a back board.

Maybe it could be adapted from something like a Paddle Board?

Do ya'll think that could work?
    Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 10-06-2010, 12:03 PM.
    Fralick Racing
    Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UE0zDAhe63I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UE0zDAhe63I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>
      HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Yes, exactly...
        Even an old Jet Ski hull with no deck etc. could work.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Mark

Comment

See, Mark... that's what I was talking about... you're always thinking!!!
          Dan

Comment

The only problem I see is if the person needs immediate attention before and during the rescue you can not attend to the person in transit. Such as a bad cut or respiratory problems, CPR, unconscious and such. Just looking at it from an EMT point of view.
            Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

Purchase used?

Would buying a "professional" model gently used be an option?

Comment

Originally posted by blueskyracer View Post
                The only problem I see is if the person needs immediate attention before and during the rescue you can not attend to the person in transit. Such as a bad cut or respiratory problems, CPR, unconscious and such. Just looking at it from an EMT point of view.
                Hmmm right. Brings up an interesting point, I wonder how many of our corner workers are prepared for that?

Do y'all have dedicated (Trained) rescue boat personel?

Originally posted by Steve Johnson View Post
                Would buying a "professional" model gently used be an option?
                Maybe so, I didn't even know such a thing existed.

Comment

Originally posted by dcrummett View Post
                  See, Mark... that's what I was talking about... you're always thinking!!!
                  Dan
                  Blame Dave Mason. It was he who suggested that I find something more productive to do with my spare time than blogging on HR about Free Market Capitalism.

Altho come to think of it, with elections looming, there may be nothing more important than promoting the idea that profit is not evil.

That of course was not political commentary Dan, i am just pointing out that it's all Dave Mason's fault.
                  Last edited by mdaspit; 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM. Reason: To blame Dave Mason for unintended political commentary

Comment

What we use for our rescue team is a stokes basket with pool noodles zip tied to the edge. This allows for flotation and support of the patient. You can put a back board in the basket or just have straps in the basket. If you strap the patient in the basket "RIGHT" you can stand the basket straight up and down, and pull them into any boat.

Eric
                    Black Diamond Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by em3899 View Post
                      What we use for our rescue team is a stokes basket with pool noodles zip tied to the edge. This allows for flotation and support of the patient. You can put a back board in the basket or just have straps in the basket. If you strap the patient in the basket "RIGHT" you can stand the basket straight up and down, and pull them into any boat.

Eric
                      Black Diamond Rescue
                      Thank you Eric-
                      It looks like you are a pro, so tell me... what down sides do you see to a floating rescue board?

Sometimes there could be a race, and the only boats available may be 12' kickerboats.

Mark

Comment

They already make purpose built stokes litters that are designed to be used in the offshore/shipping industry. These have the capability of strapping a person in safely with a life jacket still on and allow the ability to stabilize the head. I am by no means a medic, however, I can speak for the fact that these do work. (i have peronally used them in probably the most extreme case) I believe that it is important if you are thinking about getting these for your club you don't try to make a homemade version. I would also note that you can transfer directly to an ambulance.
                        Last edited by Moon child; 10-06-2010, 08:14 PM.
                        Dave W. Young
                        95-D
                        "Roll it up or roll it back on the trailer"

Comment

The main down side is there dose not look like there is a way to secure the driver to the board. If thay are hurt bad the more you move them the more damage that can occure. With the stokes you can put the driver in ANY boat even if you have to lay them across the sides of the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon child View Post
                            They already make purpose built stokes litters that are designed to be used in the offshore/shipping industry. These have the capability of strapping a person in safely with a life jacket still on and allow the ability to stabilize the head..
                            Do they float? Could they be towed in the water?

Comment

Great Ideas

Now this is productive use of your time. A brainstorm on rescue injured drivers.

A lot of clubs have went to a pontoon style for rescue. You could maybe find a junked Pontoon and build yourself for cheap. In the IOA boat, the front half is on a cable and winch (manual crank winch from a boat trailer). The bottom is hinged at some point and you can drop it into the water once you are ready to get someone in. Crank it back up a few cranks and motor on in. Plenty of room for three people and an injured driver. We run two drivers in the rescue boat, one to drive and one to dive, and the EMT usually is in it a well. Wet feet are the norm though.

Just an idea.

I like all the ideas floating around here. Weird thread to be under, but great points.
                              Dave Mason
                              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X