Berwick, PA Reults........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berwick, PA Reults........

Day one of the Berwick Regatta has been completed and after two unsuccessful attempts to run a race, the Berwick Boat Racing Club overcame several obstacles to please the overflowing crowd on the riverbank. The fast running Susquehanna river made it difficult to keep the buoys in position so the Race Committee went with one buoy turns that was well received by the drivers.

Results -
    ASR - Billy Simmons, Johnny Wlodarski, Bobby Brown
    AXH - Johnny Wlodarski, Bobby Brown, Tim Noury
    CSR - Bill Forster, Steve Noury, Tim Noury
    CSH - Mike Stapleton, Sam Bucholz, Jeff Sherwin
    25SSR - Steve Noury, Tim Noury, Bill Forster
    350ccMH - John Mauck, Frank Novotny, Mike Thierfelder
    500ccMH - Dave Curtis, Sam Bucholz, Frank Novotny.

Berwick was the second event on the "Mike Cook Northeast Challenge Series" schedule and Wild Bill Forster was the winner on time over Steve Noury, each driver recording a first and third place finish.

More on Sunday........
    Last edited by TPLACE31; 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM.

Much credit should be given to Mark Monsey, who made this race happen. Along with great support from outside the region in the persons of; Steve Noury and Carole Terry this race was pulled off against great odds. Bill Simmons was a constant presence helping on the ramp. Mark Monsey worked non-stop and didn't even get to race until Sunday. Also, without a great showing from region 1, 2 and 4, this race would not have happened! Thanks to all who helped out. The spectator crowd from the town of Berwick loved the show.
    Last edited by PopPop; 07-03-2014, 05:18 PM.
    !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

The Berwick race was a dream of Jim Tower, Billy Walker & Jim Shotwell for years. This year it happen! Those 3 put in hundreds of pre race hours. I only did what I try to do at every race in whatever region, pitch in to help whatever club make the event a success. Some weekends I work a ton, other times there are enough volunteers I can leave early. At Berwick, every single racer and their families came to me and asked "how can we help?". Without them, and the outstanding officials, this race would not have happen. The biggest win of the weekend was spectators. Walker bought 500 wrist bands. We ran out Saturday night!! There were herds of people around every pit with drivers talking like TV stars, they lined the shore 3 deep while Carole Terry got everyone wound up with her announcing. The reason they came, next to the pits the United Way hired a carnival group to raise money for the Berwick pool, and advertised the heck out of it, along with our race. Not sure if this is a formula for success of Outboard racing, but there are close to a thousand people in Berwick that now know a lot about our sport. Maybe they will tell their friends?
      Hope to see you all at Thompson!
      Mark 55P
      Team Tower
      Hydroplane Division

Comment

hi all,

a great time was had by all this weekend at Berwick. yes there were challenges, but all were worked out. the town was there supporting the racers.

the one thing I took away from there this weekend was what some parents asked me. their 19 year old daughter raced motorcycles in a male dominated class. they asked how the racers thought about girls racing, their daughter wasn't treated very well. I told them we have a lot of young ladies race, however there were not here this weekend. I invited them to lack haven over labor day weekend and come in the pits and talk to young lady racers. we may have another racer next year.

see everyone at lock haven. on vacation during Thompson so it's going to be a long racing dry spell.

stay safe.

frank
        52-E

Comment

Day one was a challenge and on day two we were rewarded for stepping up and meeting that challenge. Sunday's event went off as if the Berwick Area Boat Club had been doing this for years. Coordinating an abbreviated program with the other Community activities on site, the outcome could not have been scripted any better. The local media was all over this event with television coverage and the shoreline was packed with enthusiastic spectators. The most often asked question of the weekend was "when are you doing this again?" The Berwick Club went from a membership of three to over thirty during the course of the event and with additional manpower, it can only get better.

Every single participant contributed to making this work. They did the job of thirty people with fifteen and there were no complaints. In addition to those mentioned in previous posts, this event would not have happened without Annette Weber. With no connection or obligation to this event whatsoever, Annette traveled four and one half hours to officiate as Chief Scorer. And many thanks to Jane Simmons who never left the boat ramp catching boats or assisting on the Judges Stand all weekend.

Sunday results:

ASR - Billy Simmons, Bobby Brown, Johnny Wlodarski
          CSR - Steve Noury, Bill Forster, Tim Noury (Mike Cook Challenge Race #4)
          AXH - Johnny Wlodarski, Bobby Brown, Tim Noury
          350ccMH - John Mauck, Mike Thierfelder, Frank Novotny
          500ccMH - Dave Curtis, Mike Stapleton, Sam Bucholtz

Thanks to all that participated..........
          Last edited by TPLACE31; 07-01-2014, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Berwick Racing Weekend was great. When I got there and saw the narrow seeming river and quick current I was pesimistic. But after running BMH both days with John and Frank we all felt the turns and the water were fine. I think there is really enough room for 3 buoy turns too. And the local interest was awsome, there were literally hundreds of spectators who signed the waiver to come in and look ...both days. One vendor was open early and late for breakfast and supper. There was a lane full of vendors there to rival LH. All the locals I talked with were very positive about wanting this to be an annual thing.

One thing I realized that is that at this site faster water that would kill LH or Lambertville wasn't a problem because there is NO DAM or ROCK SHOALS anywhere downstream. The pit lot isn't huge like LH but could easily take twice the turnout next year. I think this place is worth going back too and I will urge more to go next year.

Comment

You're right Frank, I spoke with a bunch of that showed an interest. I may run an ad for drivers school at Lock Haven, or next year at Berwick. I lied when I said everyone asked me how they could help, Mike 41P, just started working, PA system with miles of wire, start clock, helped break everything down too. No questions. I learned a lot from him.
              Mark 55P
              Team Tower
              Hydroplane Division

Comment

Berwick was a good time to me, I'll race there again. Thank's to many who worked to put this on.
                Team Tower

Comment

Just wanted to thank Jim Shotwell, Bill Walker, Jim Tower and Mark, without out these guys we wouldn't of have a new place to race, also a special thanks to Steve and Tim Noury, without their help this event would not of happened. The town of Berwick loves boat racers, the shore was lined with spectators both days. After the last couple of years, with problems with the water. It was a warm welcome from the community to finally have boats on the water.There is already talk about making this event bigger and better. If you missed the race this year make sure you mark your calendars for next year!
                  Johnny Wlodarski III
                  24J

Comment

GREEN FLAG IN BERWICK!

One Driver’s Top 5

5-Hearing heartfelt words of Lt. Commander William Walker, the United Way Lady, and Captain Jim Shotwell at drivers’ meeting washed away the many hours of travel-traffic, and all was right with the world.
                    No Regrets on this Trip, and PROUD TO HAVE BEEN PART OF IT! Salute.

4-Fine examples set by Mark and others was fuel for the soul, and not to be forgotten.
                    Stick Taps sent to the workhosses of Berwick Burro.

3-four kids swarming a bug-eyed dad, about REAL RACE boats, hear that some drive at age-9.….then all point to 45 pound sister and yell,”SHE”S TEN, SHE‘S TEN!!
                    And she, beaming, looks over to say, “I AM!”.

2-hydro racer takes first EVER runabout run, popping fin up over turtle, and rodeo-ing his way to an exciting AU finish against an impressive field of proven drivers.

1-Not getting beat by the “other” Jersey Wunderkind in CSR was special, but getting on Plane in AXH takes the cake!!!
                    YES MISS BERWICK, DREAMS DO COME TRUE!

…not to start any rumors, but if roll call is on for a Susquehanna marathon then sign me up!
                    Attached Files

Comment

...few more pics.
                      Thankyou Berwick!
                      Attached Files

Comment

For those from regions 1, 2, 4 for making the trip to Berwick, I put my hands together for you. And to all the race committee, from all the regions, that made it possible for New Berwick Club to put the race on, a special thanks. For the region 3 members that worked, raced, inspected and spectated I thank you for supporting the Berwick race.

Comment

Fountain of Youth Found at Test Track Park Thanks to Those Like Team Tower & Bill Walker Who Brought Berwick Back!
                          Noteable is that at least two of the kids who raced this past weekend also raced there before.
                          It's True!
                          Attachments show Burro as being on schedule for July 1966 & September 1961.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X